Sunday, January 17, 2010

It's Weird Science Time -- Weir-Dough (Weirdo!!) -- 12/23/09

Because of the rainy and cold winter I try to make an effort to do some sort of science or craft activity with Julian at least once or twice a week.... because if not, he can become very resourceful and make up things to do on his own -- things that we don't always want him doing. :)

On this day we took cornstarch and added water and food coloring to it.  When the right amount of water is added to cornstarch and mixed together the end result is a product that holds both liquid and solid properties.  Very neat, or in the words of Ju, "It's weird.  It's like weirrrrr--dooough!".  It may sound like a project that is not very fun to do, but it can actually be quite entertaining (I was actually very scared that it was only going to hold Ju's attention for a few minutes but he played for a good 40 min and continues to ask for it).  Even Jer was amused. 

Definitely try it with your kids or grandkids!  (And it's a cheap and easy to clean up!!)  Also, I put the "weir-dough" on a flat food tray because Ju is short and can barely reach the table.  But for older kids I recommend a big bowl.